Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 7


jOuRNeY to the “Big Island”
We started early, I was trying to the drive the “back way” to the Maui airport, it was the opposite direction that most tourists go. The map read, 4x4 vehicles only, not recommended for rental cars, I thought that the way to go. I needed to convince the girls on how much they would enjoy that direction. They were half asleep; I don’t think they cared at the time when I headed north. It was very exciting drive mostly locals drove the scarce road, we went through some small villages and drove eight miles on a single lane road around eight foot wide that had some three hundred foot drop offs. It was a great trip around this disserted treacherous part of the islands, even the girls enjoyed the exciting drive .
Off to the Big Island. We made it in no time, some fifty minute flight that you climb then descend. Arriving at the Big Island was very different from Maui, Maui had a lot of red dirt, seemed dry around the island. The Big Island was say, “Big”, you didn’t feel that you could get the so called “Island Fever”, everywhere you would look you would see black volcanic rock, there appeared to be no dusty dirt, just vegetation and black volcanic rock minus and dirt, so far I’m liking this more than any other island, very intriguing.
Girls are up, let’s go!

No comments:

 
Picasa SlideshowPicasa Web AlbumsFullscreen